Surf fishing is one of the most challenging and fun angling sports worldwide. And out of many factors, for surf fishing to consider, the key is to find the right reel for it. Hence, many fishers ask, “What size reel for surf fishing is ideal?
While expert surf fishers have different opinions about it, most of them agree that a 4000 to 6000 series reel will be the best fit for most anglers. However, knowing the series and size of the reel isn’t enough for surf fishing since it varies depending on different conditions.
So, let’s take it a bit deep.
Jump To The Right Section
What Size Reel for Surf Fishing Should I get?
When anglers decide to go for surf fishing, the first question that pops out in their mind is, “What size reel should I use for surf fishing?”
Well, it depends on the surf fishing situation and the type of fish you want to catch. Also, you have to consider the size of your surf and the place of surf. Nonetheless, choosing a surf fishing reel sized 4000 to 6000 series should serve surf fishing perfectly in most situations, if not all.
Since the surf fishing reel aims to cast the line as far as possible, the 6000 series with its enhanced backbone and long line holding capacity is a good choice. You should therefore choose 400 to 600 series of the spinning reel.
Also, you have to choose the right fishing line with the fishing reel. We talked with expert fishers, and they suggested that using the #15 to #20 braided fishing line with the spinning as mentioned above reel series will be an ideal option.
This combination will cast far enough from the beach to allure most fish species that anglers want to catch.
If you want bigger or smaller fish and choose a particular surf, take a look at our following suggestions to know what size spinning reel you should get for surf fishing.
- 8000-10000: This spinning reel series will be a good choice for catching bigger species such as sharks and tarpon. It is important since you need to increase the landing chance for the bigger fishes, which only a stronger reel with a long fishing line can perform. You may choose Shimano Baitrunner 8000. It comes with a secondary drag. Also, it enables anglers to use the live baits effectively and better.
- 4000-6000: The 4000 to 6000 series of spinning reels is the most common and popular choice for surf fishing. Whether you want to catch Tarpon, slot Reds, or the small Pompano, this series is ready to cast every fish you want. You may even catch the smaller sharks with this series if you can handle the spinning reel well. You will find hundreds of fishing reels within this series, but we found the Baitrunner 6000D and Saragosa 5000SW, the two most suitable reels for surf fishing. You can consider pairing the #20 braided fishing line with them. Also, for smaller fishes, you can think about the #15 braided fishing line.
- 1000-3000: If you aim to catch smaller species such as Pompano or whiting, choosing the 1000 to 3000 series spinner fishing reel will do the job properly. Stradic 2500HGFL reel from Shimano can be a good addition in this range with affordable pricing as well. You can pair the reel with #10 and #8 braided fishing lines while their length will be 150 and 200 yards, respectively. Also, the reel is easy and comfortable with a high-quality design that is built to last for multiple seasons.
Read More: Best surf rods for the money
What about the Fishing Line?
Choosing the right spinning fishing reel won’t permit you to enjoy the fun of surf fishing fully. You will also need the right fishing line for it.
- Braided fishing lines are preferable for surf fishing. If you want to cast as far as possible, we recommend choosing a braided fishing line with 30-40lbs weight.
- A monofilament fishing line is also an affordable choice to begin with for surf fishing. You can quickly select a 20-30lbs monofilament fishing line for it.
We hope you have got the answer of what size reel for surf fishing is ideal in which situations. If you are unsure about your surf fishing place and which species you want to catch, we always recommend you to choose the 4000 to 6000 series without a second thought.
Hi, I’m Charles Walden. I love fishing and kayaking in Arizona’s Salt River. My grandpa got me hooked on fishing when I was young, and he taught me almost everything about it.
I love spending time outdoors with my family and friends, and fishing is one of my favorite activities. It’s a great way to relax and enjoy nature. Thanks for taking the time to learn more about me.